Menu
Tablet menu

The most strange houses of Moscow

    House-egg, home-elephant, house locomotive and other most unusual capital structures

    HOUSE-SHIP

    Str. Bolshaya Tulskaya, 2

    This 14-storey residential building is called a "home-ship" and "Titanic." Built in 1981 in the style of brutalism this wall building stands out against the background of an old low-rise residential district. it was like a cruise ship with its impressive size (400 meters long and 50 meters high), and the upper rows of glazed balconies. By the way, there are duplexes on the upper floors, which are meant to be elite.

    House-ship Construction was carried out by order of the Ministry of Atomic Industry of the USSR. Another name of this Moscow apartment building - "House of nuclear industry", but also a unique strength of concrete walls, not inferior to the Soviet nuclear reactors. 

    HOUSE BEEHIVE

    Krivoarbatsky per., 6

    The house-studio of the architect Konstantin Melnikov called the "icon of constructivism" and is compared to Kizhi and St. Basil's Cathedral. In 1927, the brilliant architect designed the "eight" of the crash into each other cylinders, creating in the center of Moscow not just a residential home for himself and his family, but the space, the world had never seen before. The house was built without pillars and beams of the ceiling, survived the explosion of high-explosive bombs, it was rebuilt after the war and was included in all architecture textbooks.

    House-hive. It became known as the house-hive for simplicity and efficiency. More recently, after much litigation and proceedings famous Melnikov House was opened to the public. Guests are introduced to the architectural features of the monument and are shown corporate hexagonal windows, a bedroom with Venetian plaster and rollaway "centipede". 

    HOUSE ON LEGS

    Str. Race 34

    This house was designed in 1978 by the architect Andrei Meyerson. The main feature of the structure - twenty pairs of reinforced concrete "legs" – spans for which the house got a nickname "house on legs", "house-centipede", "home-Octopussy" and "hut on chicken legs." These supports are narrowed down, which creates the effect of "unreliability" of the structure. The house itself seemed to expand upwards - each following 13 floors stands lapped over the bottom. The main emphasis is on the three oval stairwells.

    House on legs Architect Andrew Meyerson was inspired by the ideas of Le Corbusier: as a result his "house on legs" in the creative shape of a Marseilles "housing unit". Originally the house was conceived as a hotel for the participants of the Summer Olympic Games in 1980 in Moscow, as a result of the apartments in the new house got the deserved workers of the plant "Banner of Labor", which produced the aircraft IL-12, IL-14 and IL-18. From another of its name - "House of aviators." This is not the only "house on legs" in Moscow: the rest of them can be seen at the following addresses: Prospekt Mira, 184/2 (opposite the monument "The Worker and the Collective Farm Woman"), Smolensky Boulevard, 6/8, Communal House of the Textile Institute, 8/9 .

    ELEPHANT HOUSE

    D. Ostrovtsy, 14-th km Novoryazanskoe w.

    Very near to Moscow, in the village Ostrovtsy (Ramenskoye district) very unusual house attracts the attention of all passers.

    Elephant House The building is constructed in the form of an Indian elephant in a bright red horse-cloth, decorated with small windows, and lozenges painted bright colors. Inside - four floors, connected by a spiral staircase. Author and owner of house Alexei Sorokin is looking for buyers: "This is a huge room, suited for any design idea. No walls, no supporting beams - nothing you do not restrict. "

    HOUSE locomotive

    Str. Novaya Basmannaya, 2/1, p. 1

    Looking at this constructivist building resembling a locomotive, you can not believe that the walls remember Napoleon. In the XVII century it was located or Sovereign Rye Emergency courtyard - warehouses where stocks of grain and food were stored. In 1750-1760-ies it was built here in the form of a square complex of four long two-storey buildings. Emergency palace - perhaps the only one of the government buildings of the capital, survived the fire of 1812.

    House locomotive In the twentieth century, Emergency palace had several owners and has undergone various extensions and restylings. In the 1900s it housed the Institute for Noble Maidens of Alexander III: project of architects NV Nikitin and AF Meissner was built on the third floor. After the revolution, the building won the People's Commissariat of Railways. In 1932-1933 years of the building has changed radically. Architect IA Fomin gave the Reserve Palace constructivist features: there two floors were built, leveled facades, modified form of window openings, and at the corner of New Basman and Sadovaya-Chernogryazskay streets climbed up nine-clock tower, due to which the house was nicknamed by the people "House with a pipe".

    HOUSE EGG 

    Str. Mashkov, 1

    Mashkov street, located near the "Pure ponds"metro station , has long been famous for its apartment houses and buildings in the Art Nouveau style, the peak of the construction of which took place at the beginning of the twentieth century. But, despite this, today this street is better known thanks to modern construction, namely home-egg.

    Egg House appeared in 2002 and has become not only a tourist attraction, but also a symbol of the whole Luzhkov architecture. Egg house was built by architect Sergey Tkachenko of a maternity hospital in Bethlehem, but they refused the idea. As a result, house-egg was built on the Mashkov street as an extension to a new multi-storey home. The house has 4 floors and 5 rooms. There is an entrance hall, living room, and a sauna on the ground floor. The second - a kitchen with a dining room, maid's room and bathroom. The third - a living room.

    HOUSE-Bagel

    Str. Nezhinskaya 13 / st. Dovzhenko, 6

    "House-bagel" - a first-round home in Moscow. It was built in 1972 in the district Ochakovo-Matveevskoe west of Moscow on the eve of the Olympics-80. The unusual shape of the house designed by the architect and engineer Eugene Stamo Alexander Markelov. Standard panels used for construction, which, in order to close the ring, were set at an angle of permissible error of 6 degrees. That is why the building turned out quite impressive. It is not so simple to find the right entrance among the 26 ones.

    Bagel House According to the idea of architects, the Olympic Village was supposed to appear in Moscow. However, this project turned out to be expensive, and only two houses were built in total. Moreover, the twin brother of the first "home-donut" appeared only seven years later, in 1979, a year before the Olympics-80 on the west of the capital - in Ramenky area. Outstanding actors of theater and cinema - Honored Artist of the RSFSR Savely Kramarov and Honored Artist of Russia Galina Belyaeva, as well as a film director, screenwriter and poet Emile Lotyanu lived in the house on Nezhinskaya.

     

    Last modified on
    back to top